Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thingaweek #3 - Bristlebot (plus a video!!)

Thingaweek #3 - Bristlebot

This week I made a Bristlebot, a tiny, vibrating robot. Typical bristlebots are created by taking a brush head of some sort (usually from a toothbrush) and attaching a button cell and a vibrating motor to it. However, I was too lazy to look for a button cell battery and an extra toothbrush, so instead, I used some insulated wire that I had nearby and taped it together using aluminum tape.

Thingaweek #3 - Bristlebot

I then proceeded to create the vibrating component of the 'bot. I had previously salvaged the vibrating motor from a broken cell phone that I found on the street, so I attached the proper leads to some wire to create a casing that would sit around a AAA battery. I was a bit worried that the battery would be too heavy for the motor, but it turned out that the motor had enough oomph to vibrate the bristlebot.

Thingaweek #3 - Bristlebot

I finished the project by taping together the "bristle" section and the battery/motor casing. Below is a sambot blog first, a video of the bristlebot in action.

Thingaweek #3 - Bristlebot from sambot on Vimeo.


Yay for creepy, off camera voices!

2 comments :

  1. Now just gotta make a ton of them and have them battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SAM YOU'RE FALLING BEHIND GOTTA MAKE MORE THINGS!!! :D

    ReplyDelete