Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cigar Box Ukulele

I downloaded the pictures from my camera this morning and realized that I neglected to post the Cigar Box Ukulele that I made a week or two ago.

100_2669

As part of my continuing quest to create musical instruments, I decided to create a Ukulele. The majority of the parts I used for this project were salvaged from the Cigar Box Guitar I made from Make Magazine. While this isn't a formal how-to, the general order of creation was I first created a channel down the center of the center of the cigar box. I then cut the neck to an appropriate length and drilled the necessary holes for mounting the hardware to hold the strings. For frets, I cut off the ends off of nails and super-glued them onto the neck. I also drilled two 1/2 inch holes near the center of the box to allow the strings to resonate. 

Overall, the ukulele makes sounds, but is a far stretch from an actual instrument. I attribute this to two things: 1. my lack of ability to play the ukulele, and 2. that I used mason's line for the strings. The strings could not hold their tuning well (although this may also be because they are not held down tight), so much so, that I could actually hear them precess out of tune with each additional strum. 

In any case, this was a fun project that (somewhat) actually worked. (project photos below:)

100_2584

100_2586

100_2587

100_2588

100_2589

1 comment :