Friday, June 8, 2012

Arduino Midi Controller Part 2: Button Troubles

100_3157

I continued working on the midi controller project by designing the plate that will hold the button matrix. My first thought was to attempt to 3D print the plate. While this may have worked if my makerbot had a larger print area, I did not think my design through enough. My first mistake was deciding to print 16 squares, one to hold each button, instead of 4 squares of 4 buttons. My second mistake was deciding to glue these squares together. The resulting matrix was very weak, and the 4th row eventually broke off (see below). Fortunately, the buttons are easily removable due to their threaded nut that keep them clamped on...

100_3161

...which leads me to the next mistake I made: somehow, I misplaced the nut for one of the buttons. While annoying, it isn't a total loss because the button still functions and I can just hot glue it into place. I think I'm going scrap the 3D printed plate and make one out of wood instead.

100_3162

The final part I worked on was creating knobs for the potentiometers I had. I plan on including 6 potentiometers in the final controller because the arduino has 6 analog inputs. The potentiometers conveniently have a 'D' shape which allows me to press-fit a knob that will clamp onto the component.

100_3160

No comments :

Post a Comment